School starts in less than a month! Jill and Daisy are leaving. We made the most of our time together.
Sojo Rec Center Camp: Monday, July 6-Friday, July 10
We signed up for the South Jordan Rec center summer camp again this summer. Daisy is now old enough to join in on the fun. The camps filled up fast and James had to be put on the waitlist. The rec center camp is 20 hours in a week split up into 5 days (4 hours a day). The morning session was full, so I signed up for the afternoon session from 1:00-5:00 daily. The price is $70.50 per child which is budget-friendly.
As the camp approached, I called and emailed the head of the camp. I really wanted James to get in. I felt hopeless when less than a week before the camp began, I was informed that James was number 10 on the waitlist for camp. I was told the chances of him getting in were very slim and he was extremely disappointed. (So was I). Apparently nobody had asked to drop the camp. I was astounded when less than 24 hours after my call with the head of the camp, I got an email saying James got in. My day was made. It truly felt like a miracle. I think it's because I followed up so many times. I was grateful James got to experience this camp too. The kids loved it!
Some of the best activities according to my kids were: swimming, Pokémon card trading, a craft, capture the flag, dodgeball, and soccer.
Sleepover at Nana and Papa's: Thursday, July 9
My parent's had their grandkids over for a sleepover. The rule was: potty trained grandchildren could go. It was glorious. All our kids were gone from 5pm-10am. Andrew and I planned as much as possible during our kid-free time. We got dinner at Mi Ranchito, did an endowment session at the temple, had Rockwell Ice Cream (which was surprisingly underwhelming), and watched "Back to the Future."
Thursday morning, we went on a walking route I love around Daybreak lake. Then we picked out the grout color for the tile in our downstairs bathroom. We ended by getting kolaches for breakfast.
Obviously, the kids had a blast at the sleepover! The girls came home with matching bracelets and all got 3D printed dinosaurs. Penny stayed awake until 10pm.
Swim Team: Monday and Wednesday evenings in July from 7-8PM
James and Isabelle have been taking swim lessons consistently. After the latest session in June, I felt like they could be pushed more. They're getting good. A friend told me about a swim team in Herriman. After researching, I learned that the kids had to try-out in order to be on the swim team. My biggest worry was that the kids haven't really learned breast stroke. They know all the other strokes, but not breaststroke which is a requirement to make the team. My mom and I took the kids to the pool and worked with them on breaststroke before tryouts. After tryouts, we were informed that both kids made the swim team!
There was some drama and tears after the first day of swim team. One of the coaches pulled Andrew aside and said that we need to get a refund for James because he can't do the breaststroke. This surprised us... At the tryouts, they told us that James needed to work on breaststroke but they would help him. After talking to the aquatics director, we got it sorted out and James could remain on the team. Phew! Swim team wears the kids out and they're famished after, but they like it. We're going to sign up to continue swim team in August.
Park City: Saturday, July 11
I remember going to the Alpine Slide growing up and now my kids had a turn. In addition to the alpine slide, there is now a mountain coaster, and zipline. We got the triple pass (thank you mom and dad!), and my older kids tried all 3 attractions. The coaster was the favorite. It was a bit confusing/stressful to figure out the height limitations for each experience since they were different.
James and Isabelle were able to be drivers on the alpine slide because they are both over 48 inches tall. Penelope was a passenger with Andrew and just made the cutoff of 35 inches. James was bummed he got stuck behind slow people on the alpine slide and apparently kept yelling at them to speed up. Isabelle said she hardly touched the brake. They had fun! The ski lift for the alpine slide is sluggish...
There are 2 ziplines. Nobody did the intense zipline because there is a weight requirement of 100 plus pounds and none of the kids reach that. James was able to ride the smaller zipline solo. Isabelle had to be a passenger with Andrew because she is not 54 inches tall. In order to ride the "Flying Eagle Zipline," you have to be at least 42 inches. Penelope and George were too small. The zipline had no line and was fast.
The mountain coaster was the most thrilling and worth the long line. The ride closed briefly because of a moose spotting, but it opened it back up shortly after. You have to be at least 38 inches to ride on this as a passenger. To ride as a driver or solo, it's required to be 54 inches or taller. James was able to ride this coaster on his own. Isabelle had to be a passenger with Andrew. Penny was too small.
Being in my third trimester of pregnancy, I watched these events. If you are a Utah resident, be sure to show you're ID and you'll save 10 percent.
We got McDonald's after. Getting to Park City took longer than expected with traffic and an abundance of construction. Park City was a cool 90, which was a little reprieve from the 104 degrees at our house. It's still as gorgeous as ever. Thanks again for this experience mom and dad. My children are still talking about it!
Moana: Tuesday, July 14
We saw the new Moana on $5 Tuesday. The kids have been counting down. After hearing not great reviews, I wondered if we should still go and my expectations were low. The movie had beautiful scenery and my kids said they like it better than the cartoon. My mom loved it. It is basically a replica of the original Moana but it was a win with our crew. James felt bad Andrew missed it due to work. Penelope wore her Moana pajamas to the theater.
Chick Fil A's annual dress like a cow day was July 14. After the movie, we put on our cow attire and got free lunch. Amazing! Count us in next year!
Once again, James got to go to Camp Tracy. This is a church camp in Millcreek full of exciting adventures such as archery, bb gun shooting, canoeing, and more. James left at 2pm and returned home at 9pm. Lesson learned... this year we sent him with money for the giftshop. He said the gift shop was more expensive and that there was less for sale. He still seemed content with his keychain and cotton candy though.. He really wanted to buy a pocketknife but we vetoed that. There was thunder and lightning which meant no canoeing but that's okay. James talked a lot about a hilarious comedian. He explained what was said, but I think you had to be there. My boy looks genuinely happy. Grateful he gets opportunities like this where we live.
Isabelle will get to join James next summer at Camp Tracy.
Still to come this month... Izzy's birthday, a Ditto family reunion, and girls camp!



.jpg)
.jpg)











No comments:
Post a Comment